In 2016, the Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority (SORTA) board considered the recommendations of the Metro Futures Task Force and voted unanimously to direct Metro to prepare for the possibility of a ballot initiative in 2017.
As part of these preparations, Metro will do the following in 2017:
1. Continue planned improvements while exploring new options
- Break ground on three new transit centers - Northside, Oakley, and Walnut Hills - in 2017 & 2018
- Finalize service improvement plan with AECOM consultants
- Share final plan throughout Hamilton County to ensure it meets community's needs
2. Implement the strategic plan
- Implement new strategic plan with improvements in on-time performance, customer satisfaction, safety and many others
- Use metrics to track progress meeting these goals
- Measure community impact and return on investment for all improvements
3. Make a decision
- The SORTA Board has decided to place a Hamilton County sales tax on the 2018 ballot as a new sustainable way to fund Metro's bus service.
- If funded countywide, SORTA will collaborate with the City of Cincinnati to eliminate the city earnings tax that it now receives
- Ensure Cincinnati and Hamilton County community leaders and citizens have input into SORTA’s decision-making process